EnTech Taiwan EnTech Taiwan
April 27, 2017, 02:42:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: External monitor problem on Intel 945GM  (Read 79965 times)
mroek

« on: August 03, 2006, 05:38:47 AM »

I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop which has a 945GM express chipset.

My problem is that I am unable to get the laptop to output anything other than 800x600 or 1024x768 on the VGA connector if the computer is running standalone. If the computer is in the docking (actually a port replicator) it can output lots of different resolutions. I know for a fact that this docking does not contain a video card, so clearly the computers internal video IS able to output different resolutions.

I've tried different drivers (both Dell's latest and Intel's latest, which is actually the same), and I've tried all the different modes in the driver, including both single display and clone mode. The laptop has a 1440x900 LCD, and if I set this to 1280x720 (and choose "Center desktop" in the driver) I get a centered desktop that is not using the full screen, which seems right since I chose 1280x720. Setting the driver to Clone mode will output 800x600 to the VGA connector, and the desktop is panned when I move the mouse to the extremes of the desktop.

I am certain I have tried absolutely EVERY possible combination of settings in the driver, but it refuses to output what I want on the VGA connector. I've also tried connecting to different display devices (including a Dell 2007FP LCD and a Panasonic PT-AE700 projector), but it is all the same.

As the laptop is clearly physically able to output 1280x720 on the VGA connector (but only while in the docking), this is extremely frustrating.

I was thinking that there might be some setting in the "Docked" hardware profile that I could transfer to the standalone profile by editing in the registry (where the profiles are stored), but I don't have the necessary information on how Windows uses these profiles.

Dell support also came up short on this problem, but I am 100% certain it is solveable, and I am hoping someone here has some useful suggestions.

-?yvind
Rik Wang
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 05:05:30 PM »

I don't have an answer and don't have a 945 based notebook from Dell, but have you tried disabling the notebook internal LCD, so that only the external monitor connected to the VGA port is active?

mroek

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 03:20:27 AM »

Yes, I believe I have tried just about everything. It just doesn't want to work. Dell support hasn't been very helpful, either.

-?yvind
axl13

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 09:11:20 AM »

Wow, I have the same exact problem with the 945 GM.  However, after hours of trying several random combinations of driver settings and plugging and unplugging the monitor, I found a sequence of connection/disconnection that actually worked (worked for me, anyways)!

First, go to Display Properties and go to the Settings tab.  Go to the Display pull-down menu.  Does Monitor 2 say it's "Default Monitor"?  When I fixed the problem, Monitor 2 became "Plug and Play" (same as Monitor 1).  It seems that you have to change the Monitor 2 to Plug and Play.  If you know how to do that, try it.

If not, here's what I did and what happened:
1) Close the Display Properties and GMA Driver windows.

2) Disconnect the monitor from the laptop while the extended desktop is on it.

3) Open the Intel GMA Driver from the Control Panel
- Windows makes the disconnected device sound at this point

4) Display Settings> change desktop resolution to something, then change it back to your original setting and hit OK.  THe display should refresh, and your extended desktop should be gone (i.e. you can't move your cursor offscreen to the other monitor anymore)

5) Shut down the computer.

6) While computer is off, connect the monitor to the computer.

7) Turn on the computer.  The extended desktop will appear on Monitor 2 at a low resolution (800x600), but don't worry.

8 ) Control Panel>Display Properties>Settings tab.  Monitor 2 should have the full range of  displayable resolutions instead of just 800x600 and 1024x768.  Set monitor 2 to its native resolution!

- Check the pull-down menu again.  Monitor 2 is now "Plug and Play" instead of "Default"

-Do NOT use the Intel GMA Driver panel--it seemed that was the problem for me.  Just let Windows take care of display properties.

Yes, it actually worked.  No I'm not kidding.  Good luck, I hope it works for you.
axl13

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 02:42:17 PM »

Update:  I repeated the sequence I posted up to make sure it works.  It worked the first repetition, but I couldn't reproduce the results after that.  I'm once again stuck with 1024x768 on a native 1280x1024 Sad

However, getting the 2nd monitor to register as a Plug and Play device rather than a "Default Monitor" still holds true.  If anyone knows how to accomplish this, please help.
mroek

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 03:27:32 PM »

Dell support still hasn't been able to provide a solution either. Pretty incredible, as the problem is easily verified.

Thanks for your suggestions, axl13!
There has to be a way of fixing this, and I suspect some clever registry editing might do the trick. If you know what to edit, that is...

-?yvind
TniX51427

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 08:11:38 AM »

This is what fixed the issue for me. I updated to Bios Version A04, and changed the option in the BIOS "Primary Display" to the internal card. My external monitor "Driver" is the plug and play. Now I am able to run at 1600X1200@75hz

TniX
 Cool
bjv

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 11:30:30 PM »

I solved a very similar problem with my Dell M1210, which also uses the 945 and presumably the same drivers.  In this case the solution was absurdly simple, and it may explain mroek's docking station/cable experience.  

One (old) HD-15 video cable did not have pins 12 and 15, which are required for the VESA DDC signals to communicate monitor information to the PC.  A newer cable with a complete set of pins and connections solved the problem.

bjv
mroek

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 03:49:41 AM »

Thanks for the tip, but the cable I used have all the pins. And I also checked that the DDC information was actually transferred to the computer.

I haven't worked on this problem for a while, so I haven't tried updatating the BIOS yet. I am always reluctant of BIOS updates...

-?yvind
friedrb

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 06:44:59 AM »

Quote from: "mroek"
I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop which has a 945GM express chipset.
As the laptop is clearly physically able to output 1280x720 on the VGA connector (but only while in the docking), this is extremely frustrating.

Hi mroek,  I'm having the same problem with my Inspiron E1505 w/ an Intel 945GM trying to connect to an LCD projector w/ the native resolution @ 1280x720.  I can not get my external connection to output anything higher than 1024x768...  

Your statement about a docking station is giving me hope however...  Which docking station do you have?  How does it work exactly-- does the docking station have its own set of drivers that let you manually set the dock's resolution (or is the dock better at detecting resolutions than the 945GM)?

thanks,
Bill.
mroek

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 09:27:58 AM »

The docking is called a D-dock, it is more or less a port replicator. It requires no drivers, and it has no integrated video hardware.

The only difference is that when I connect through the docking the external monitor is reported as "Plug and play" in Windows, which apparently is the key to being able to select the full range of resolutions. I still think some clever registry editing might do the trick.

I tried updating the BIOS to version A05, and also upgraded to the latest video drivers (and also changed primary display in BIOS to the internal card, as suggested), but to no avail. This is a very annoying problem!

-?yvind
koji

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 03:49:49 PM »

it's driving me crazy!

i tried now nearly everything to get it to work in my fujitsu notebook with the 945 gm card, but i ended crying on the toilet. it just freaks me out.

i have installed the new Intel driver:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2301&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21

and it lets you select and change the both resolutions (monitor and, in my case, projector), but the CUSTOMIZED RESOLUTION button in powerstrip simply doesn't get highlighted. i also tried it on my nvidia geforce desktop PC
and the CR button was highlighted.

any more ideas?
Rik Wang
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 07:26:18 AM »

Intel display drivers for Windows DO NOT SUPPORT CUSTOM RESOLUTIONS. You are limited to the resolutions enumerated in Windows Display properties > Settings.

If you don't mind using minimalist, rarely updated drivers, and experimenting, have a look at this thread.

koji

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 08:04:55 AM »

these are the intel graphic driver windows in which i can change the settings.

@ Rik
thanks, i will give it a try later on. i mean it's not so bad, cause i can change the resolution with the intel tool as well, but i would have loved to work with poerwstrip.
rar77

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 03:22:04 PM »

TniX51427, you are a genius!!!  I have spent many hours with Dell support and googling for solutions.  Thank you!!!

-randy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: