EnTech Taiwan EnTech Taiwan
June 27, 2017, 11:20:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Add Feature /native  (Read 22485 times)
DarkStar

« on: April 01, 2008, 01:02:59 AM »

Hello!

I would like to see this feature added.

Would you be able to add a switch to change the resolution to the native resolution of the Monitor? Say if your LCD supports 1440x900 natively you could put MultiRes /1:native or MultiRes /2:native and it would check the settings of the monitor and set them to the optimal native resolution.

That would be an awesome feature.

Thanks
Rik Wang
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 05:43:46 AM »

MultiRes hasn't been updated in a long time but Yeah, if it ever is that would be a useful feature.

... it would check the settings of the monitor and set them to the optimal native resolution

The only drawback here is that it requires quite a bit of additional code to acquire and decode the monitor's EDID, which is the only place this information is stored.

DarkStar

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 10:00:34 AM »

Is there a place on the net or somewhere I could get the info to decode the EDID? I would like to have a program that sets the native res of the monitor. We deploy hundreds of desktops and they never have the same monitor, which creates a support call to change the settings for various reasons. I was hoping this utility would do it so we could add it to the registry as a run once and then delete.

Ideas?
Rik Wang
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 10:57:58 AM »

If you think about it, you already have one - your display driver. All you need to do is set the resolution to the highest supported by Windows and - assuming there is an EDID and this is a Plug and Play monitor - you'll invariably be at the native resolution - if not the native panel resolution, then at least the monitor manufacturer's highest recommended resolution.

The exception would be multisync CRTs, but these don't have a native resolution anyway.

To take your original 1440x900 LCD example, if you go into Windows Display properties > Settings, 1440x900 will be the highest resolution available on the slider. If not, something is wrong to begin with.

DarkStar

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 10:08:46 PM »

I really wish it worked like that, but it doesn't. Let's say I build an image for a Dell Optiplex 755 with the built in video card. I build it on a 4:3 19" monitor at 1024x768. I use the newest driver from intel and make sure the machine works correctly. Now lets say I deploy that image on another Dell Optiplex 755 with the exact same hardware but with a 16:9 22" wide monitor. The machine will boot up and discover the monitor but will set the display to 1024x768 not even close to the native resolution of the monitor. What I would like to have is a utility that is in the RunOnce part of the registry that would set the resolution to the native resolution and then delete itself. Since I deploy hundreds of machines a week mostly with the same hardware but all kinds of different monitors this would save a ton of time. I could totally configure the machine in the lab and then just send it out. Currently when the machine makes it to location the user has to call me and I have to remote into the machine to set the resolution, or create a ticket for a tech to go on site. I never see the monitor, keyboard, mouse or extras, they are all shipped direct to the end-user. Why not let the user change the resolution??....good question....well because we are on a restricted secure domain and the user has absolutely no rights to the machine.

Thanks for your replies.

Ideas?
DarkStar

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 10:12:01 PM »

opps forgot to say before I build the image I set the resolution to 1600x1200 or the highest resolution possible.
Rik Wang
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 04:28:53 AM »

Quote from: "DarkStar"
I really wish it worked like that, but it doesn't. Let's say I build an image for a Dell Optiplex 755 with the built in video card. I build it on a 4:3 19" monitor at 1024x768. I use the newest driver from intel and make sure the machine works correctly. Now lets say I deploy that image on another Dell Optiplex 755 with the exact same hardware but with a 16:9 22" wide monitor. The machine will boot up and discover the monitor but will set the display to 1024x768 not even close to the native resolution of the monitor.

That, I'm afraid, is an error in the Intel display driver. When the display driver loads for the first time on the new Optiplex, the PnP manager is supposed to detect the old monitor is gone and a new monitor is present, and set the resolution accordingly.

What you are describing is a situation where the display driver either (a) cannot recognize the new monitor or (b) insists on configuring the new monitor with the old monitors's settings - both of which are Intel errors.

I would contact Intel and see if they have a registry value you can set on your master before imaging, which corrects this behavior. For example:

1. You create your master on a 4:3 19" monitor at 1024x768
2. When you are done finalizing the master, go into Windows Display properties > Settings and set the resolution to 640x480
3. Now go into Device Manager and delete all entries under "Monitors"
4. Now create your image for deployment

If I'm not mistaken, when the deployed image first boots on a machine with a 16:9 22" LCD, the Windows PnP manager will automatically pick this up as new hardware. And because the last resolution is 640x480, Windows will automatically ask the user if they want to switch to a better resolution. And that resolution should be 1600x1050 (assuming the norm for 22" ws) or whatever the optimal resolution is in the EDID.

DarkStar

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 11:52:40 PM »

I will have to try your idea. The only thing I worry about is that the user being restricted will not have the permissions to make the video change. I would hope that since "Windows" is offering the change it will let them change the resolution.

Please note: That no matter which video card we use, Intel, nVidia, ATI etc. Somehow the machine remembers the 1024x768 when the image was built on the bench. Once and a great while we will get a machine that will do something close to what you suggested. It seems like this happens when there is a tweak to the video card. Lets say it has an Intel 965 and Intel updates it a bit. It is still a 965 but something in the chip is newer. You can tell because the video driver does the PNP stuff and then gets the resolution from the monitor.

This is most noticable when we image cross-platform say from Dell to Gateway with different hardware.

As I have been thinking about it more and more it would be even nicer if the utility could be loaded as a service. Just run quietly never doing anything until the day the user orders a new monitor and replaces it. The util would notice the changed monitor and make all the changes for the user without the need for permissions or on site help, remote changes, phone calls, and work orders, etc.

Thanks for the ideas...
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 11:10:15 AM »

Sorry, no - we only use the stock SMF system.

kswaby10

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 06:05:59 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion.

car gamesfishing gameszombie gamestyping gamesninja gamesamazon couponsiphone cases

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: