EnTech Taiwan EnTech Taiwan
June 22, 2017, 02:29:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: mControl Released  (Read 59721 times)
Rik Wang
Administrator

« on: December 18, 2008, 11:28:05 AM »

mControl is a comparatively tiny alternative to monitor operating systems like Samsung's MagicTune, NEC's NAVIset, LG's ForteManager, Gateway's EZtune, HP's MyDisplay, and the like, which - unlike those mentioned - is manufacturer independent and simultaneously supports up to 16 LCDs. There's been no announcement of it aside from this, but its been kicked around by engineers at various companies for over a year, and end users can now grab the shareware version here.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:09:14 AM by Ashley Saldanha » Logged

ptr727

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 10:26:23 PM »

Wow, this is a great utility, finally a DDC control utility for my DELL 2408WFP monitor.

How about:
1) a feature where I can save the settings as a preset per monitor.
2) more fine grained control over the slider values, e.g. an edit box, or at least show the current numeric value.
3) go even further and associate hardware values with an ICC color profile, this way I can have various calibration profiles and have mControl automatically set the monitor settings that matched the profile.

By the way, mControl is the name of a home automation application, see http://www.embeddedautomation.com/.

Thank you
P.
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 04:40:50 AM »

1. To save a profile:

mcontrol.exe /saveprofile yourname

To restore it:
mcontrol.exe /restoreprofile yourname

Create a Windows shortcut with the above command line and you can assign a Wndows hotkey to it.

2. The actual steps are as fine as the hardware alows already. To see the current value, hover the cursor over the trackbar. (not really what you are wanting in terms of visual feedback, I know, but the idea was to keep the UI as clean and adaptable as possible)

You can also send the following types of commands, where n is the monitor in a multimonitor array:

mcontrol.exe /n>setcontrol 10 64  //* to set brightness to 0x64 (100)
mcontrol.exe /n>inccontrol 10 10  //* to increase brightness 0x10 clicks (16)

3. I'm afraid the last I looked into this, re: PowerStrip, it seemed impossible: its expensive, code-wise, to process ICC profiles, and what you get doesn't translated easily - or intelligibly - into relevant hardware values (unlike the way it might apply to a bitmap image).

4. There are actually several things named "mControl" already, and this does want a better one. Suggestions? Smiley

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 05:11:57 PM by Ashley Saldanha » Logged

ptr727

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 01:57:10 PM »

Hi, regarding item 3), I was not quite clear.

Since I can already use the commanline to save and restore profiles, that would work fine.
I just meant with (3) that the ICC profile calibration was done with a partiular monitor hardware setup, and I was looking for a onvenient (lazy) way to switch hardware profiles based on the currently selected ICC profile file name.

Where can I find the documentation for the comandline options?

I found the tooltips to show the numeric value, but this is a bit inconvenient when I use the cursor keys to change values while looking at the calibration software output, it would be more convenient to paint the numeric values on the screen. If you want to safe screen real estate, let me turn of the power / green UI portion, it means little to me, and repalce it with a stats pane that shows numeric values. Or, support a small UI mode and a large UI mode.

A name, hmm, the best little utility I've found in a long time, probably too long Wink

After clibrating my monitors and using mControl, I have two more questions / suggestions.
a) It seems that on my DELL 2408WFP monitors there are 2 custom profiles, but even when  make changes to custom 1, when I restart is is back at custom 2. Is there really a custom 1 and 2 on this monitor.
b) When calibrating the screen (using Spyder3Elite or ColorEyes Pro), the calibration software paints the entire screen, and moves any application on that screen to the background. mControl automatically switches monitors when I move it between monitors, and this makes calibration difficult. Can mControl not automatically switch, so that I can move the UI to the monitor not being calibrated, but change settings for the monitor being calibrated?

Thanks
P.
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 10:02:26 PM »

The commandline/remote options are not documented yet - they will be in a future release.

Will have to think about showing the value of the sliders. For most people, the numeric value is meaningless - its the effect that matters.

And while mControl will switch its controls to the monitior it is moved to, you can then select any monitor you want to control at that point.

ptr727

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 12:45:02 PM »

Hi, my trial expired, but I loved this app so much I bought a copy.

I just noticed that the restore factory defaults do not work correctly with my DELL 3007WFPHC.
I click restore factory defaults button, and the adjustments in the UI changes, but the monitor does not change.
Then as soon as I click on any of the UI sliders, the monitor changes.

It seems that the restore does not affect the monitor, but when I click on a UI item the UI sets that value in the monitor, and the monitor adjusts.

With my other DELL 2408WFP monitor the restore does work correctly.

Is this a bug, if so, can it please be corrected in the next version?

Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 04:49:24 PM »

I'm afraid the bug is in the 3007 firmware. I don't have one, but the function works fine on the 3008.

You could probably advise a workaround by experimenting from the command-line - e.g., what series of commands gets the RFD to work? This is the current sequence when you click the button:

"setcontrol 04 01"
repeat "getcontrol 10" until a valid response is obtained

Unfortunately, even if you found the sequence needed by the 3007, I'm not sure we want to start adding code to fix or workaround problems in specific makes, models and possibly firmware revisions. But let's get to that once you find the correct sequence.

ptr727

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 08:15:44 PM »

Hi Ashley

Can you please elaborate on how to issue the commands, I tried calling mControl.exe from a command window, and got no output.
I tried running cmd.exe normally and elevated, if elevated then setcontrol results in an access denied error dialog.

"
C:\Program Files (x86)\mControl>mControl.exe setcontrol 04 01
C:\Program Files (x86)\mControl>mControl.exe getcontrol 10
C:\Program Files (x86)\mControl>
"
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 09:39:32 PM »

C:\Program Files (x86)\mControl>mControl.exe /setcontrol 04 01

ptr727

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 03:23:13 PM »

Ok, I tried with the "/", all that happens is that the app launches and shows in the tray, there is no console output?
sonic

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 01:11:22 PM »

You can also send the following types of commands, where n is the monitor in a multimonitor array:

n>mcontrol.exe /setcontrol 10 64  //* to set brightness to 0x64 (100)
n>mcontrol.exe /inccontrol 10 10  //* to increase brightness 0x10 clicks (16)
Very nice! But what do you mean with "n>"? Could you perhaps give an example for setting the brightness for monitors 1 and 2?
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 05:11:01 PM »

n is the monitor number, so to set brightness to 100 (64h) on your second monitor you would issue the command "mcontrol.exe /2>setcontrol 10 64"

My bad on the earlier syntax/placement error, now corrected.

sonic

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 12:55:09 AM »

n is the monitor number, so to set brightness to 100 (64h) on your second monitor you would issue the command "mcontrol.exe /2>setcontrol 10 64"
The quote characters aren't correct yet:
Code:
mcontrol.exe "/2>setcontrol 10 64"
works.
It would be very nice if the (eventually hidden) mControl window doesn't steal the focus after this. I'd buy it at once :-)
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 05:09:30 AM »

The quote characters are only required if you are executing via a shortcut, not the command-line.

There's a new release scheduled soon, but I'm not sure I understood your statement that mControl "steals" the focus - as if that were something mControl optionally and deliberately does, but need not? Can you give me an example of a program you run that doesn't "steal the focus"?

sonic

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 05:16:56 AM »

The quote characters are only required if you are executing via a shortcut, not the command-line.
The quote characters I posted are neccessary on the command line, since the less-than- and greater-than-signs are reserved for redirection.

There's a new release scheduled soon, but I'm not sure I understood your statement that mControl "steals" the focus - as if that were something mControl optionally and deliberately does, but need not? Can you give me an example of a program you run that doesn't "steal the focus"?

Start mControl, hide it and then open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and enter
Code:
mcontrol.exe "/2>setcontrol 10 64"
After that, the command prompt window won't have the focus anymore. I'm planning to execute the setcontrol command in the background periodically to refine your economy mode, and under this circumstances it would be bad if the active window looses focus every minute.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: