EnTech Taiwan EnTech Taiwan
December 18, 2014, 03:23:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: big problem - vga out stopped working  (Read 4872 times)
namelips

« on: July 05, 2009, 05:56:51 PM »

OK, I was messing around with hooking up my laptop to my TV. I got a VGA cable and plugged it in and it seemed to work just fine, automatically. Yay. But the resolution didn't quite look right...

Being the tinkerer I am, I decided to figure out the resolution of my TV and change resolutions to match. But it seemed my video card didn't support exactly the right one... So I did a search and found a mention of this Powerstrip program I could use to force resolutions.

I figured what the heck and downloaded it and the very first thing I did... broke things.

I didn't even get so far as switching resolutions. I was looking through the things I could do (from having clicked the icon in the taskbar) and saw "Turn on multiple monitors." I technically was running 2 monitors, so I wondered what would happen if I clicked it.

Instantly the image on the TV went away. But the image on my laptop monitor stayed. Well, that clearly wasn't what I wanted so I selected the "Turn off multiple monitors" option.

And the image didn't come back.

Now I can't get the image to show up on my TV at all. It's clearly getting some sort of signal, because it's in some sort of loop. My TV shows a blue screen with the notice "No VGA signal. The power will be turned off." And it turns off... and instantly turns on again. It repeats these events over and over. It stops the loop if I unplug the VGA output from the laptop.

No matter what resolution I set the laptop to, or how many times I turn on and off "Multiple Monitors," I can't get the picture back.

At this point all I want is the picture back again on the TV. I just want to undo whatever it was Powerstrip did. But I can't figure it out.

Can somebody help me please?
namelips

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 06:01:16 PM »

Oh, forgot to mention. When I restart the laptop, I can see the booting information on the TV just fine. But it goes black again as soon as Vista loads. So the output IS working, but there's something vista-specific that is screwing it up. Right now Powerstrip isn't running, and is set to not run when Windows loads, but it's still installed.
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 06:31:44 AM »

Boot up in Safe Mode, uninstall PowerStrip and then go into Device Manager and delete everything under "Display adapters" and "Monitors".

You should be all set after rebooting and letting Windows redetect your hardware.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: