EnTech Taiwan EnTech Taiwan
December 22, 2014, 09:21:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: powerstrip 3.85 invert gamma ramp  (Read 3156 times)
espeecat

« on: August 02, 2009, 05:09:58 AM »

Hi
I've been using powerstrip 3.85 for a few months. My reason to use it is to invert the gamma ramp (inverse colours). I've just downloaded the shareware version for home. Been using it at work.

It looks like this feature isn't supported for my GFX card (saw a post that states this for newer nvidia cards). Can you tell me if you plan to get this feature working for:

(Gainward) NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT  - a budget/cheap card.

I can't tick the enable "write to DAC palette" in color profiles so I think this is my problem.

This tool is a bit of a life saver for me as a web developer with some eye problems. I don't want to go back to "high contrast" mode in XP as this tends to hide images (CSS images) in web browsers.

Is it just an NVidia thing; should I consider moving to a newer ATI card??

I've found links to do this programmatically but I'm no c#/c++ developer e.g.
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=516864

Thanks
Jason

Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 09:11:15 AM »

Yes, I'm afraid you need something besides a post-GF7 NVidia card - anything from ATI, Intel, S3 will do. Its not a GeForce 9500GT hardware limitation - its just that PowerStrip does not and cannot support post-GF7 NVidia cards.

And No, the author is mistaken about the programming tip in the link you provide - you cannot invert the gamma ramp using that API call.

jodawi

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 09:04:18 PM »

Can you say more about what the source of the limitation is? The nvidia control panel lets you invert the gamma, so it's technically possible for software to control this.
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 03:20:05 AM »

PowerStrip only suports gamma on post-GF7 NVidia GPUs at the WinAPI level - and this does not allow inversion. The limitation is in PowerStrip (and the WinAPI), not the hardware.

jodawi

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 01:45:50 PM »

Ok. If you have the resources to go down the path of supporting specific cards etc, nvidia has sample code for inverting the gamma ramp here:
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/SDK/9.5/Samples/DEMOS/common/src/NvCpl/docs/NVControlPanel_API.pdf
I'll probably try putting together a tiny app based on it, since that's all I need. (Friend with vision issues, wants to have hotkey to toggle away from bright white screens/pages so she can read without getting a headache.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: