EnTech Taiwan EnTech Taiwan
November 20, 2017, 12:10:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: ATI 5XXX (5870, 5850 etc) Support  (Read 94722 times)
spcav

« on: October 24, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »

Any news on this?

I already bought pstrip and I am waiting to use it with my new 5870 in order to get 23,976 Hz.

Glad to help with beta testing also.

Smiley
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 05:14:52 PM »

HD5xxx support is dependent on sufficient documentation from ATI, of which there is none at this time. The next release of PowerStrip will work with the HD5xxx, but there will be no advanced timing support. 

spcav

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 03:35:20 AM »

Doesn't sound good....

Do you have any estimation regarding when we can expect advanced timing support (when you usually when documentation for new gpus?)?

5xxx series is the current 'big thing' in the gpu market so I suppose you better push things.

Smiley
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 03:37:36 AM by spcav » Logged
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 04:15:09 AM »

Normally, we would have received it by now so don't hold your breath. It took 2 years to get timing options working on the GF8, with no assistance from NVidia, and it is still imperfect. Its possible there will be no timing support for the HD5xxx - there is very little effective demand for these things nowadays.

spcav

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 07:59:06 AM »

The only reason for me (and many people I know) for buying pstrip was 23,976 support for my htpc....
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 02:04:12 PM »

Yes I understand, but PowerStrip doesn't work with everything made, past, present and certainly not future. You are supposed to verify PowerStrip works *before* you register it, and presumably it worked fine with what you had when you did register.

In any case, whether PowerStrip works with the HD5xxx in future depends on ATI, not me or you.

spcav

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 02:38:07 PM »

Yes I understand, but PowerStrip doesn't work with everything made, past, present and certainly not future. You are supposed to verify PowerStrip works *before* you register it, and presumably it worked fine with what you had when you did register.

In any case, whether PowerStrip works with the HD5xxx in future depends on ATI, not me or you.
Yes, it worked fine with all my previous ati cards.

This why i am a bit surprised with you not beeing optimistic about the latest one (what changed now? can you press ati on releasing 5xxxx specs? i suppose that it is totally different than 4xxxx - but this wal also the case with 2xxx vs 3xxxx and you supported the latter quite early)

in any case, i will be waiting
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 04:17:57 PM »

I'm afraid the HD5xxx is a very different design from previous generations. Previous changes to RadeonHD generations were more incremental in nature. As for ATI, support from them is unpredictable; they can only be pressed by *their* customers (that's you!) and marketing imperatives.

woods

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 09:47:01 AM »

I'm afraid the HD5xxx is a very different design from previous generations. Previous changes to RadeonHD generations were more incremental in nature. As for ATI, support from them is unpredictable; they can only be pressed by *their* customers (that's you!) and marketing imperatives.

Is not it supported in future in a custom timing of HD5870 either?
I change HD4870 for HD5870 and am troubled...
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 12:46:53 PM »

I can't speak to the future, but its currently not supported by PowerStrip and - in the continued absense of documentation - not being worked on here...

CiNcH

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 02:37:49 AM »

there is very little effective demand for these things nowadays.
Why is that? I currently have no clue how to live without PowerStrip. I don't use too sophisticated timings, only 50 and 72 Hz vertical refresh and sometimes 75 Hz for the TFT. But this can already become a pain if certain timing/resolution combinations are not covered by the EDID. Did things improve with Windows Vista and 7.
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 04:00:20 AM »

I believe this question has already been asked and answered earlier in this thread, no?

CiNcH

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 05:27:57 AM »

I am not asking why there is no support for HD 5000 series but why you believe that PowerStrip has become less important. This has not been answered... not that you have to, but... Wink .
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 08:59:31 AM »

Ah, sorry - the answer to that question is ultimately based on the number of people who register...

CiNcH

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 06:16:39 AM »

Thing is that you are giving away the whole functionality for free. Voluntary donations do not work Wink . I will register as soon as I get my credit card (which is the reason that is holding me back from registering right now). I am making use of PowerStrip every single day and wouldn't have a clue how to live without it.

I am currently thinking about whether to go along with nVIDIA or ATi in the future. With nVIDIA I know how to fake the EDID so the nVIDIA timing utility is not that restrictive and is actually usable. With ATi 5000 series, I would have no idea how to set a resolution/refresh rate other than those provided by CCC. The lack of PowerStrip support is holding me back from buying an ATi 5000 card.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: