EnTech Taiwan EnTech Taiwan
March 27, 2017, 10:22:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: adding an install switch for graphics card driver  (Read 20477 times)
wguru

« on: March 11, 2010, 05:23:41 PM »

Can someone explain how to properly run a 'switch' when running setup file?

Assumedly maybe simply open a command window (as an administrator) and type in the pathway to the setup file, then what, add a space or something before typing the switch?

I'm trying to customize the VGA card's install to default resolution of 1024x768 and I think the switch I need is something like...

c:\setup.exe -res 1024x768x32x60

best regards,

wguru
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 05:25:31 PM by wguru » Logged
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 05:26:04 PM »

Program commandline switches will be specific to the publisher of the program you are running. You need to ask them.

wguru

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 05:48:53 PM »

Thank you for replying, but I think you misunderstand.

The switch is from the CGA driver's readme, so it is specific to the setup file.

I just need to know the rudimentary means of properly typing in the setp file's switch.

Maybe it needs to be...

c:\setup.exe/-res 1024x768x32x60

or

c:\setup.exe >> -res 1024x768x32x60

Huh
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 06:12:40 PM by wguru » Logged
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 03:00:24 AM »

No I don't think I misunderstood. Again: the syntax will be determined by the author or the program you are running, in your case whoever *wrote* the "setup" program for your "CGA driver".

But as a general rule, commandline parameters are seperated by (a) a space and (2) prefaced by either a "-" or a "/".  So assuming there is a setup.exe in the root folder of driver c, and these are valid parameters, you can try:

c:\setup.exe /res 1024x768x32x60
or
c:\setup.exe -res 1024x768x32x60

wguru

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 11:33:42 PM »

Thank you Sir/Madam.  Have you or someone else who might comment here, ever reinstalled their "VGA Controller", aka Graphics Media Accelerator Driver?

I tried running both suggested switches, but aside from the 'not recognized command' prompts, moreover the command window is opening not as "C:\>" as no matter how I open it now, it always reads either "C:Documents and Settings\Steven>_" OR "C:Documents and Settings\Steve>_".

Opening it using 'run as' results in the 'Steve' entry and opening via start>run>cmd results in the 'Steven' entry.

Surely I'm thinking the window needs to open as "C:\_",  No?  But how?

Note, I've already uninstalled the "Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver Software" (as recommended by it's readme) by using uninstall in 'add-rem progs'.

Currently the device mgr (understandably) lists nothing for display devices (in 'devices by type') except for where it lists a yellow exclamation alerts for "Other Devices" and tree-ed off below that are two more alerted items, "Video Controller" and below that "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)".

It looks like all I need do (towards reinstalling the 'adaptor') is to simply run it's setup.exe (with the modified display resolution switch) and that hopefully would result in a workaround for the Acer's refusal to retain my setting for 1024x768 (as re-booting, it defaults back to it's default 800x600).

Barring the command line approach, is it possible that what might work is first "silently" (double clicking the setup.exe) reinstalling the VGA adaptor driver, then re-boot and maybe then the switch might should be run that way, ie; essentially installing over-the-top)?

'What a tangled web we weave'.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 12:42:45 AM by wguru » Logged
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 03:57:50 AM »

"How the window opens" depends on where you saved the file on your hard drive.

But it seems to me you are going about this all wrong. All you need to do is identify which display driver you need (have you actually done that? becasue there are a great many, but only *one* current one will be right for your PC), then download it and select Run instead of Save as, following the instructions on screen.

That's all.

wguru

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 03:41:06 PM »

Thank you for reply.

I'm uncertain what you mean by commenting on 'how the window opens', you say it depends on where you saved the file on your hard drive, but 'we' are taking about the command line window, no?

With respect to my last post's focus, that being the question of...

"Surely I'm thinking the window needs to open as "C:\_". No? But how?"

Someone told me that I simply need to enter "CD\" in the command line dialog, ref. "CD\ will get you to a pure C prompt. The CD space and then the name of the folder where the setup file lives".

Of note and nevertheless, oddly after posting here and before being told about "CD\", I re-attempted running the switch and after several minutes Intel's wizard did open (separate from the command line window) and when I followed Intel's prompts, I was prompted that the driver's install was successful.

However when I re-booted, regardless that the Acer's display was a bit scrunched inwards (black colums oneach side of the completely visible desktop), nevertheless the external monitor failed to detect the Acer's desktop.

So I'm left to having re-uninstalled the VGA Adaptor and aside from your comment, I'm now wondering two things; Where it is that Acer's affords reinstalling the NVIDIA console, and wondering if maybe my re-running the switch (with the base command line entry of "CD:\") might result in acceptable results.

Additionally, the NVIDIA console is no longer anywhere to be seen, that console vanished after I either separately uninstalled it or it uninstalled when I uninstalled the VGA Adaptor.

Plus, despite whether or not the OEM's VGA Adaptor is or isn't installed, the Acer's launch manager's "F5" hotkey functionality no longer functions.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 04:06:12 PM by wguru » Logged
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 05:58:34 PM »

I think you need to contact Acer or the store that sold you your laptop. These are pretty basic Windows questions, unrelated to graphics hardware. For example, it is unclear whether you have a NVidia or an Intel graphics controller - your dealer will know, and is the best source of information on this kind of thing.

If you are on your own, I'll repeat my advice: identify which display driver you need, then download it and select Run instead of Save as, following the instructions on screen. You don't need to do anything else - if you do, or think you do, you are doing something wrong.

wguru

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 07:56:17 PM »

Thank you so much for your continuing afforded replies.

In that I am 'on my own', I've posted here.

As for what I have installed, I've aleady sought from all available sources to determine what should be installed.

As for what is installed, I'm so much the novice that I can't tell you if the VGA Adaptor is also known as a 'controller'.

However I'm fairly positive that I recall having once seen and used (both at the same time on the Aspire One) the NVIDIA Console and "Intel" Graphics Media Accelerator Driver Software.

By your reply, it seems you are saying that isn't possible?

My only hope left is either someone here might chime in with their expertise with Acer Aspire One's graphics, that or I'm as said, left to formatting and starting over.

As for your saying I might be doing something wrong, obviously that is the case, but what?

Mayb I should consider another approach to what seems to be an issue with the Aspire One's graphics card simply not supporting my external monitor.

If so, the monitor is absolutely w/o support, firmware, etc., and yet the external monitor is clearly appears capable of supporting windows or Aspire One's graphics card 'emulations' (if that's the right word) for 800x400, 1024x728 & 1200x800 resolutions, even though the monitor's default advertised resolution is simply 1280 X 800 SXGA.

So do you think it's feasible to install virtualization software to achieve my aim of using the monitor without having to re-set the Aspire One's resolution every time I re-boot, ie; software vurtualization like Paragon's seems to afford running another platform via a virtual hard drive (assumably another platform may afford 'virtual' graphics, I don't know)?

Or is that totally infeasible, then perhaps someone here has can share their expertise on 'what is is that I may be doing wrong'?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:20:38 PM by wguru » Logged
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 06:26:26 AM »

Acer makes lots of "Aspire One" netbooks. What is the exact model number? It will begin with "AO".

wguru

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 04:55:31 PM »

Awfully kind of you to have stuck with me this far.  Many thanks again.

The AspireOne I have is described several ways...

Acer Aspire One Netpad AOA150-1, aka AOA150-1029

part no. AR5BXB63

loaded with Windows XP Home Edition 2002 SP3 (build 2600)

Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 06:18:09 PM »

There is nothing NVidia in that netbook, and the maximum and only resolution you should run is 1024x600 - nothing higher.

Download and install this driver with *no switches*.

wguru

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 05:22:05 AM »

Thanks again for all your attempts to help me.

I've given up on the machine and am going to format it.

Then I'm going to pop for the $50 and pick up a video card/adapter (as one I'm looking at says it supports
"standard resolutions up to 1600x1200").

ref Tirtton SEE2 UV150 USB Video Card/Adapter.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:25:08 AM by wguru » Logged
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 01:10:42 PM »

You have lost me... What is it you are trying to do? A USB display adapter will only allow you to run an *external* monitor at up to 1600x1200, which your netbook also allows.

You will not be able to run your netbook *internal* panel at anything higher than 1024x600 no matter what you do or how much you spend.

wguru

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 01:29:21 AM »

Thank you for replying and extended kudos for affording myself and this forum, your untiring contributions.

Note that previously I errored by referring to my missing console as a 'NVIDIA' console, as in fact it's the "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile" console in that I finally re-located my screenshots of that console's settings (note it afforded "1024x728").

FWIW, my notes tell me the console stems from 'Intel GMA 950 driver for Mobile', ie; the graphics engine built into the AOA150's chipset (on the motherboard), so apparently something's preventing that engine (and the Fn+F hotkey) from functioning.

In my search for why the 'GMA 950' engine seems crippled, so far I notice in the msconfig's 'services' tab, the following potentially relative 'stopped' services; application mgmt, wired sutoconfig, extensible authentication protocol service, human interface device access, smart card, and the wmi perfromance adapter.

To answer your question, initially I was trying to set the adaptor/controller at a default resolution other than 800x600 (the AOA150's default).

Then as that didn't resolve he 'external monitor's display issue, I tried to at least restore the missing console.  Since then, I've found the Launch Manager supports the hotkeys, ref. Fn+F5 which has lost it's connectivity, ie; that hotkey no longer functions.

Note the Fn+F5 hotkey toggles the optional display outputs and I've already tried resolving that disfunction by re-installing the Launch Manager, but the issue remains
(even after also re-installing the "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver" software.

So all in all, unless the dongle I mentioned resolves things as far as acceptable usefulness of the external monitor, I'm otherwise left to formatting the AOA150 as I refuse to continue using the monitor at 800x600.

With respect to your saying 'regardless of what I use, I won't be able to display larger than 1024x600', that seems inaccurate as I have screenshots showing the 1024x768 setting (indicating to me that it clearly afforded 1024x768).

So given all I've tried and where I'm at now, I'm severely disappointed that even when I was able to access the missing console and I set it to it's only afforded reasonable resolution (1024x728), the darned thing refused to retain that setting after re-booting.

So everything is telling I might well achieve reasonable usefulness of the monitor by
acquiring and using the mentioned 'USB to monitor' adapter, ie; that dongle seems to amount to what may be loosely referred to as a 'virtual display adapter') and I expect it will serve the needs of AOA150 users who also experience external monitor issues.

Regarding the missing 'console', my re-installations of the "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver" software (x86 version 6.14.10.4926) did not restore the missing console or even functionality of the Fn+F5 hotkey.

Again, I've even re-installed something I suspected may have been of some consequence
in my having removed the VGA Adaptor, ie; the "Intel Chipset Device Software", version 8.3.0.1018.  And of note, the Intel website system evaluator identifies the Mobile IntelĀ® 945 Express Chipset Family as installed.

The device manager lists yellow alert entries for 'unknown device' (in place of the un-installed display adapter) and below that it lists (I think) 'vga controller' and below that, 'vga adapter'.

Why the Acer's desktop displays so problematically (on the external monitor), I'm not
sure it's the AOA150 and/or the external monitor that is of issue, but I simply want to enable a quality display in any suitable resolution (greater than 800x600), and as for 16 or 32-bit true color, etc., I could care less which one as I don't game.

What could be somewhat germaine to the issue, is that the TouchMate's 15" screen supports "High Resolution: 1280 X 800 SXGA" (I assume that means 32-bit true color) and the Acer seems to have two default display resolutions (800x600 and '1024x768') and 16-bit true color.

I say 'two' defaults as without any VGA Adapter installed the Acer's default display seems to be 800x600, and with the VGA Adapter installed, the default display, I believe may be 1024x600.

Nevertheless, when I now use the external monitor without either the "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver" software and as mentioned, without the "Intel for Mobile Graphic Media Adaptor" 'console' (as it no longer seems available to me), the resulting external monitor rather poorly* displays a 800x600 desktop.

It displays as missing the edges of all four sides (until I click it's auto-adjust' button), then it displays fine except for a sort of twinkling or slightly jittery appearance.

Again, as I mentioned in my initial post, the AOA150-1029 (AspireOne) and my TouchMate (TM-LCD154) monitor do NOT support 'one or the other'.

The Acer's 10" screen and the TouchMate's 15" screen do not seem to be of any issue.
What appears to be of issue, is that the TouchMate's default display capacity is
"High Resolution: 1280 X 800 SXGA" and the Acer seems to have two default display resolutions (800x600 and '1024x600').

I say 'two defaults' as without any VGA Adapter installed the default display is 800x600, and with the VGA Adapter installed, the default display, I believe is 1024x768.

Nevertheless, when I now use the external monitor 'without' the 'Intel for Mobile Graphic Media Adaptor' console, I no longer find the console available to me, even if I reinstall the Intel VGA Adaptor drivers* (I believe you refer to that as the controller) and now the TouchMate's screen displays the 800x600 desktop except for the edges of all four sides (until I click it's auto-adjust' button, then it displays
fine except for a sort of twinkling or slightly jittery appearance).  

Whichever doesn't support the other in this case, is beyond me.  Maybe it's both, but I it seems the AOA150 somehow just doesn't support retaining the 1024x768 resolution (after re-booting) and then there may be a necessity for the external monitor to require a 1200x800 resolution (but I think it handles 1024x728 just fine).
Nor does the problem seem to relate to one of 60 vs 75 MHz, as the montior is also a 60 MHz monitor.

So I'm simply resolved to doing one or both of the following; format the darned Acer and/or purchasing the mentioned USB dongle that reportedly affords "most all common resolutions" for "all monitors", apparently by means of that dongle's 'chip born software' and/or it's potentially accompanying software.

But if anything else is left unmentioned, I can only guess that surely my links to a recent (earlier) Intel Adapter Diagnosis, as well as another link to my system properties, should leave no question unanswered, ref...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/50tydzqmdzw/2-14-10 DiagnosticReport.txt
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mfqzyzzrrgq/3-19-2010 sys nfo xport.txt

So if anyone can add anything useful to this post's string, myself any hopefully others will appreciate it.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:42:53 AM by wguru » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: