EnTech Taiwan EnTech Taiwan
May 22, 2017, 09:09:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Feature Request  (Read 15518 times)
ontherocks

« on: February 09, 2011, 05:57:55 AM »

Could the support for .edid file extension be added, both for "Save as" and "Open" in the "File" menu?

Thanks
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:05:39 AM »

Why?

ontherocks

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:54:31 AM »

There are modules which output EDIDs in .EDID file format, but lack in the functionality to create inf. Moninfo is the only tool that does so.
Currently I have to use a converter to convert the .edid files to .bin and then use it in moninfo. Hence I was thinking if this feature could be added that would be just great
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:29:11 AM »

You sort of scooted around the question  - which was, to be sure, imprecise.

Who creates these .edid file formats, and what do these formats consist of? Is this some proprietary format that someone just made up out of the blue? If not, what are the names of a few (as in more than one) of the programs and companies that use these? What is the purpose of this special proprietary format and what is it used for that you cannot find elsewhere?

I confess I have *never* seen or heard of it, and I have been doing this a very long time; and it isn't listed on file-extensions.org or any of the other online file extension resources I just quickly consulted.

Hence my prior question: I have no idea what purpose this new ".EDID file extension" you want would serve, or how it would be read and written.

ontherocks

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:43:55 AM »

One which comes quickly is Extron EDID Manager. It saves the EDID in .edid format (among other formats).
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 12:39:39 PM »

I think you are confused - the default file extension for Extron's foray into EDID decoders/editors is the bin file.

I see in Version 1.0 (the only version available from them) that there is an option to save a file as a "*.edid" file, but if you change the default file extension from .bin to .edid, it still save it as a bin file with the bin file extension - making this .edid option totally superfluous.

What's more, there is no option to open an *.edid file in Extron Edid Manager. It can only open bin files.

So you need to provide another example of a company and program that uses - actually *uses* - this different file format. There must be something to this since you say in your original post that you have had to use a "converter"Huh 

ontherocks

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 10:36:29 PM »

I see in Version 1.0 (the only version available from them) that there is an option to save a file as a "*.edid" file, but if you change the default file extension from .bin to .edid, it still save it as a bin file with the bin file extension - making this .edid option totally superfluous.
No, it does save it in .edid format. You change the default extension to *.edid, then enter a filename and destination and it saves as .edid.  I think you are leaving the default filename unchanged. Change the filename before saving (don't give it any extension) and you will get a .edid file.

So you need to provide another example of a company and program that uses - actually *uses* - this different file format. There must be something to this since you say in your original post that you have had to use a "converter"Huh 
Another example is Audio Precision products (http://ap.com/) like APx500 2.7.
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 02:17:31 AM »

Have you actually looked at a .edid file saved by your own method in Extron? I think not because it is just a bin file with a different file extension. You might just as well give it the extension ".ontherocks" instead of ".edid". Its completely gratuitous...

Sorry, I'm always open to suggestions for improvement, but this request is just ill-informed and makes absolutely no sense... If you really feel some important interoperability is missing or needed here, then you should try persuading Extron and AP to use industry standard file formats and associated naming conventions.

As for MonInfo, in the absense of any reason to do otherwise the only change you should expect to see is an option to open/save a binary or text file with any file extension, or no file extension at all, so you can easily work with any file extension anyone wants to come up with.

ontherocks

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 04:16:50 AM »

Have you actually looked at a .edid file saved by your own method in Extron? I think not because it is just a bin file with a different file extension. You might just as well give it the extension ".ontherocks" instead of ".edid". Its completely gratuitous...
How do you open any arbitrary binary file and view it? I have no idea how to do it hence couldn't find it out. Let me know how to do it.
One more question. Are there binary file comparators available similar to text file comparators like Winmerge?
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 05:11:05 AM »

If you want to compare two binary files, use fc in your Windows system folder. You already have this, and it will allow you to compare Extron and Audio Precision files, regardless of file extension.

Its not clear from your questions how you found your way to things like the DCX1600 or APx525, but click here a long list of hex/binary file editors.

ontherocks

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:35:46 AM »

Is .xml an industry standard file format for EDID?
Have a look at these http://www.quantumdata.com/support/downloads/980/980_Gen2_sample_edids.zip
Quantumdata as well as Audio Precision uses .xml as one of the EDID file formats.
Can this file format be incorporated in Moninfo?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:38:43 AM by ontherocks » Logged
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 10:47:40 AM »

xml is an structured text file format, not an EDID-specific format.

While MonInfo could export its data in this format, what would be the point and why stop there? Why not also in Adobe PDF format? Or Microsoft Word format? Or in Postscript? Or as a haku or a tweet? Smiley

Why don't you just try to state clearly what it is you are trying to do, because judging from your questions I am absolutely certain file format is *not* the answer.

ontherocks

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 10:43:18 PM »

I have already stated clearly that my requirement is interoperability between other programs and Moninfo (which can create infs from edid files (generated by other programs))
So if the other program outputs a edid file in .xml format then.....?
Ashley Saldanha
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 01:55:42 AM »

I'm afraid there has been nothing clear about your posts - in fact you appear to be hopelessly confused by not just EDID data, but with file extensions and structures in general.

Please be precise - interoperability for what purpose? Since you have now moved from asking for support for the non-existent *.edid file format to support for xml files from Quantum, give me a link to the actual downloadable Quantum program that creates those files, that you want to interoperate with - because if you and other MonInfo users don't have access to Quantum's program, you surely do not need interoperability with it.

Look: you gave me a link to Extron's program, and I pointed out MonInfo can already import and export Extron's *primary* file format. I also said I'd add the ability to import and export binary data with any file extension you want - so you can use your *.edid files in future.

That doesn't seem to satisfy you, so now you ask about a couple - as in two (2!) - xml files from Quantum. Show me the program that creates those files, and if that program has some features that have merrit, I'll add xml import support to the very next release of MonInfo.

ontherocks

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 03:07:49 AM »

Quantum Data - http://www.quantumdata.com/support/downloads/980/release_2_2_7/980mgr_2.2.3.msi
Audio Precision - http://ap.com/display/file/3  (you need to create a free account to download this)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: