EnTech Taiwan EnTech Taiwan
August 22, 2017, 03:04:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MonInfo incompatible with ASLR  (Read 9115 times)
Mangix
« on: June 17, 2011, 04:19:22 PM »

if Windows 7's ASLR technology is set to always on, MonInfo crashes at startup. I am wondering whether this will be remedied in the future.
Rik Wang
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:38:32 PM »

I'm not an expert on this, but I was under the impression ASLR is always on anyway, and that there is no (approved) way to disable it.

Are we talking about the same thing? How to reproduce this "crash"?

Mangix
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 03:33:06 AM »

Microsoft has a free tool called EMET which can be used to force aslr to be Always On.

this is considered an unsafe setting since AMD's graphics drivers don't work with it and cause a BSOD at boot. Not sure if this has been remedied since i last tried this 1.5 years ago but nvidia's drivers work fine.

Anyways, to enable it, you first need to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EMET after installing and setting EnableUnsafeSettings to 1. After that, launching EMET and setting ASLR to Always On will work. A reboot is then required.

I do this step for extra security on my PC as malware can get annoying.

edit: forgot to mention. ASLR is normally set to OptIn which means applications that request it get ASLR.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 03:38:31 AM by Mangix » Logged
Rik Wang
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 05:42:05 AM »

Thanks for that background - much appreciated; as its new to me, please bear with me here.

I did as you advised, downloaded EMET, set the registry value, rebooted, restarted EMET and set the previously unavailable value to Always On, then rebooted again. After rebooting and starting EMET, it does show ASLR as "always on".

I then ran a number of EnTech programs - MonInfo, PowerStrip, mControl - and they all ran ok.

What did I miss, or miss doing?

Mangix
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 11:48:18 AM »

yikes....looks like i misattributed aslr for dep... the relevant option in EMET is actually DEP - Always On.

sorry for the confusion this has caused. I attributed this to ASLR since many other programs(uTorrent, TrackMania, Audiosurf, etc...) were definitely caused to crash by forcing ASLR on.
Rik Wang
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 03:45:04 AM »

Ah, it is not possible to run older EnTech software like PowerStrip at all with DEP on, but I don't see it with the latest version of MonInfo. Try upgrading and see if the problem persists.

Mangix
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »

looks like it got fixed when I upgraded to version 2.6. I wonder what version I was using.....very nice!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: