EnTech Taiwan EnTech Taiwan
May 22, 2017, 09:06:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Driver Verifier causes BSOD from PSTRIP64.SYS  (Read 14170 times)
Sylfyd

« on: May 28, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »

Hi there,

I have experienced a series of random crashes lately occurring periodically anywhere between 1 hour and three days after boot.  Shocked After much testing I have finally homed in on the problem which seems to be Powerstrip.  Sad I discovered this by using "Driver Verifier" in Win7-64bit, selecting standard settings and asking to test all non-Microsoft drivers. This results in the following BSOD:

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy168/Sylfyd/Bluescreen001.jpg

The accompanying crash report, extracted using BlueScreenView is the following:

==================================================
Dump File         : 052812-31122-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 28-05-2012 18:39:27
Bug Check String  : DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
Bug Check Code    : 0x000000c4
Parameter 1       : 00000000`000000f6
Parameter 2       : 00000000`00000110
Parameter 3       : fffffa80`083f9b30
Parameter 4       : fffff880`04041154
Caused By Driver  : pstrip64.sys
Caused By Address : pstrip64.sys+1154
File Description  :
Product Name      :
Company           :
File Version      :
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+7f1c0
Stack Address 1   :
Stack Address 2   :
Stack Address 3   :
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\052812-31122-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 4
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7601
Dump File Size    : 276.232
==================================================

What is a bit strange is that Powerstrip worked just fine until approximately 2 months ago.  Huh Is it possible that some recent Windows update somehow interferes with Powerstrip?

I have tested this using the latest Powerstrip version (March 2012), and I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. The graphics card is an ATI 5870, however I have not upgraded the graphics driver recently, I am still using a driver from 2011.

Any ideas? I will be happy to provide additional information. Thanks in advance,  Smiley

Best regards, Niels
Rik Wang
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:20:04 PM »

The device driver itself is passive, but it could be some memory mapped register access requested by PowerStrip itself (pstrip.exe). I would need to know what you are using PowerStrip for - how you have it configured - to offer an opinion on where the problem is. And Yes, it could be a conflict with something else.

To test this, close PowerStrip and add the following switch to your pstrip.ini file:

[Global Options]
HWcontrol=0

Save the file back to disk, and reboot. When Windows restarts, the pstrip64.sys will be loaded, and you can then load the PowerStrip executable (pstrip.exe). The difference is, the pstrip.exe will no longer make any calls to the 5870 hardware. Now see if you still experience any problems.

1. Reboot - the pstrip64.sys driver gets loaded
2. Close PowerStrip if it auto-starts

Sylfyd

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:48:54 AM »

Hi Rik,

I added the "HWcontrol=0" line to pstrip.ini, and the error no longer occurs when launching Powerstrip. The error thus appears related to the hardware calls.

I have placed my pstrip.ini here: http://web-files.ait.dtu.dk/ngre/pstrip.txt (I had to rename it to txt for the webfile service to work.)

Do you have any additional suggestions?

Best regards, Niels
Rik Wang
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 04:02:25 AM »

Remove the HWcontrol flag from your pstrip.ini file and install the version from here. Then see if the error reappears.

Sylfyd

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 07:31:42 AM »

Hi Rik,

Thanks for your help. Smiley However, I am afraid that installing this version of Powerstrip this did not change anything.  Huh The BSOD error message is exactly the same as before.  Shocked The new pstrip.ini file is here: http://web-files.ait.dtu.dk/ngre/pstrip2.txt

Do you have any other ideas? Are you able to reproduce the error?

Best regards, Niels
Rik Wang
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 03:36:55 AM »

I I have tested with a FirePro V5800 driving 2 displays at slightly different 1080p timings under Win7x64 with no problems. This is as close as I can come to your HD5870.

Are you perhaps running some other GPU-related software that accesses the AMD hardware? (e.g. a temperature monitor or overclocking utility?)

Sylfyd

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 07:46:08 AM »

Hi Rik,

Thanks for your efforts. I don't think I have anything else than the ATI driver loaded... Huh When I have some spare time, I will perform a clean installation of Windows and see what happens. I'll get back with the result later.

Best regards, Niels
name

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »

i had the same exact problem, bsods every other minute, and verifier telling me that pstrip
was the cause. But since the very beginning of the bsods i was convinced they were due to the adobe flash player (i won't explain why, i can't, even to myself).
and i was very surprised of verifier's verdict.
AFTER MUCH googling i disabled hardware acceleration in flashplayer's settings, and everything went back to normal [except flash itself with its latest crappy update crashing every now and then, and several other creepy flashy issues]
Sylfyd

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 11:19:17 AM »

I thought I would post an update on this. During my vacation I reinstalled Win7-64 from scratch and I tested the Driver Verifier issue on a completely blank system with only the latest video driver from ATI installed. The crash again occurred.

I then tested the issue on two other PCs with Win7-64 (one Ultimate, one Enterprise) installed. The video cards were an ATI HD X1950XT and a NVIDIA Quadro 580. The same crash occurred on both machines. So far I have not experienced a Win7-64 system where the crash did not happen. Rik, I am thus somewhat surprised that you have not been able to reproduce the error. Do you reboot the PC after setting up Driver Verifier as explained in my initial post? The error only occurs after rebooting and then loading Powerstrip.

Changing the Adobe Flash Player setting as described in the previous post did not help on my issue (and for the clean system it wasn't even installed).
Rik Wang
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 05:02:32 AM »

I think there is a misunderstanding - my fault for not reading more carefully. I thought you were asking if there was a base incompatibility betwen PS and Win7-x64 and the HD5xxx - there is not.

But if you are asking if PS is compatible with MS Verifier, then No it is - even under 32 bit versions of Windows. Some things PS does with the hardware are against the rules, and everything it does has the potential for collision with the hardware's owner (the display driver).

Sylfyd

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 11:40:14 AM »

I finally found the real reason for the random crashes, it was my harddisk which had started to fail periodically.

What was throwing me off the real explanation was that Powerstrip somehow picked up on the imminent harddisk crash  Shocked and caused a reboot with BSOD information being written about PSTRIP64.SYS (and not the harddisk.) For this reason I thought it was Powerstrip causing the periodic errors, while the underlying reason was the harddisk failing. When I turned off Powerstrip, the periodic crashes continued, so Powerstrip was clearly not at fault, and I finally narrowed down the issue to the harddisk. Having now replaced the harddisk I have no more crashes. Cheesy

Perhaps this can be of use to others who experience random crashes with BSOD information pointing to Powerstrip.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: