EnTech Taiwan EnTech Taiwan
December 11, 2017, 07:31:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Radeon HD 3850 AGP / Windows 7 to Sharp Aquos (1366x768)  (Read 6745 times)
ThurstonX

« on: July 19, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »

Just wanted to share my experience in the hope it might help someone down the line.

I had been running a Sapphire 9600XT under Windows 7 32-bit using the driver provided via Windows Update.  As it was under XP, PowerStrip allowed me to get my Aquos to accept 1368x768, and thus run Dot By Dot at the near-native resolution.  The Aquos is a LC-32GA5U circa 2005, and has a DVI input for PCs.

I decided to upgrade the 9600XT and got a used Radeon HD 3850 AGP, as it's supported by PowerStrip.  I had zero luck trying to install the drivers from AMD.  Apparently it's a problem with the 3850's "9515" device ID not being included in the INF.  I ended up using the "ATI Catalyst  12.11 B11 HotFix 5 Pre 8 x32Bit Legacy Driver" from Guru3D.  Works like a champ.  But when I tried to define a custom resolution by pasting in the timings I'd used with the 9600XT, PowerStrip prompted me to restart.  Upon rebooting, the 1368x768 res was not available.  I did uncheck the "Hide modes not supported by this monitor" option, and created a monitor driver with PowerStrip, installing it via the Device Manager.  But whatever I tried, I could not get PowerStrip to use my custom res.

Then I recalled an app by the name of Custom Resolution Utility (CRU).  I used it to define a custom resolution for the Aquos (basically an EDID override, if I understand it correctly).  et voila!  PowerStrip allowed me to use my custom res!  I could then use PowerStrip's Custom Resolution details window to tweak the CRU settings to match.  This setup works without a hitch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do have a couple questions:

1) what could be the reason I was unable to use PowerStrip initially with the 3850, esp. in light of the fact that the 9600XT worked fine in the same system?

2) is there any potential conflict between CRU and PowerStrip?  My initial impression is that there is not, but it's only been a day since I got it to work.

3) While I will continue to use PowerStrip, is it possible to use only CRU to achieve the same end?  PowerStrip has a few more advanced features that make it easier to use and tweak (no reboots required when timings are adjusted; the ability to shift the desktop to compensate for the extra pixels).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for your time. I hope this proves useful to others.

ATI Radeon 9600XT
Sharp Aquos LC-32GA5U
Rik Wang
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 03:36:02 PM »

1. If I'm not mistaken the CRU employs an EDID override - its a monitor rather than a GPU utility. The EnTech equivalent would be MonInfo, not PowerStrip.

2. There is no conflict, since one just tells Windows your monitor timing differs from what Sharp says it is, and PowerStrip attempts to directly program the GPU.

3. It depends on whether the EDID override applied by CRU or MonInfo is sufficient or not.

ThurstonX

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 04:16:50 PM »

Thanks for the explanations, Rik.

I'll continue to use PowerStrip happily.  Truly a great app.

ATI Radeon 9600XT
Sharp Aquos LC-32GA5U
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: